Planning the Photos


Since I had wanted to do a theme park magazine for the Halloween event(s), I knew I had to plan my photos out early.

My family decided to go to Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) again this year so I saw my opportunity and took it. I let my dad know that I needed to take pictures of the actors outside of the houses for my magazine and he agreed. Knowing of their strict policy for flash photography and their ban of photography in houses, I had a feeling this photo shoot would be hard to accomplish.

The date was set--October 26th was the night that we would be going to HHN. I had already planned out my stay. I knew where the stilt-walkers would be that I had assigned on my front cover, I knew where the scare zones were which would allow me to take candid pictures of the scare-actors, I even knew where some of the props were since we went to the park earlier in the day.

Actually being in the park during the event hours was different. I knew that I needed to take some pictures while the sun was still in the sky for the natural lighting. When the moon rises I would lose the chance for the subject of my picture to be in focus. I tried to take different angles depending on the subject. For instance, the burnt pumpkin head on the next post was taken at a lower stance so it could seem as if I was looking up at him, to add an intimidation factor. I wanted the Chucky picture to be frightening as well, so I attempted to keep him centered and at eye level, so that he could always be watching.

The problem with taking many pictures at these events is that they are actors and they are told to keep in character. They are always on the move so some pictures would be taken out-of-focus. Some of the pictures I captured were of creatures meant to take photos with, which I was grateful for, since in the past I've had issues taking pictures of scare-actors.

Most of my pictures, like I said, were taken in natural light so that the subject's features could be seen clearly with high detail. In the editing process, I wish to make the overall picture darker so that it will give the picture an eerie edge to it. I took all my pictures on my iPhone 8 or my dad's iPhone X.

(PICTURES WILL BE ON NEXT BLOG; STAY TUNED!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Spread Overall

Creative Critical Reflection

Feature Spread Revision