Cover Overall


Every element that is on my cover was put in with intention. The main image was the hardest piece to choose. I had several candidates that were fitting for my cover photo. The final say on what photo to use came down to mental planning on what would affect both the audience and overall layout the best. What I chose allowed for space for the other elements to my cover. The low angle allowed for the pumpkin monster to loom over the camera. It would thus make the audience feel as though they were being intimidated and watched by the monster. It is meant to draw the reader in while keeping the spooky Halloween vibe.

The font for the masthead derived from my vision to have a fun font that looped and dragged much like a roller coaster would since my overall magazine is supposed to be about theme parks. I still wanted my audience to recognize that this magazine can be read by all ages. Matching the color of the font to the color of the pumpkin in the main image helped keep everything more organized and crisp looking. I tried to stray away from using bright colors and a mess of different colors as that would not coincide with the intended aura of darkness and sophistication.

Every other font I used (aside from the main cover line) was a sophisticated serif font--except for the anchorage which had a modern sans-serif font. I wanted it to be easy to read for the audience so I typed in a simple font and kept the color to white as it was the most comfortable to see against the cover image. The main cover line's font is creepy in the sense that it looks tall and foreign, with it's extra lines in the "H" and the dots below the "O". It was the perfect Halloween font.

The bloody cross was an addition to let the readers know that there is more to read inside about the "Horrific Houses". This convention is seen on many entertainment and travel magazines to entice the reader to want to open up the magazine. I created it in Photoshop by merging a white cross and a photo of blood dripping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Spread Overall

Creative Critical Reflection

Feature Spread Revision