Feature Spread Overall


Choosing the fonts and creating the topics proved to be the most challenging aspect of the feature spread. The fonts for the title were "Haunting Attraction", "Cedarville Cursive", and "Exquisite Corpse" respectively. They are each differing fonts, the first and last one being the closest together in terms of what emotions they provoke. "Haunting" and "Corpse" both succeed in making the audience feel intimidated; this is a Halloween edition and those fonts scream it. "Cedarville Cursive" was used to keep it in a sophisticated and smart area. It helped the spread feel a bit old, like when people still used cursive frequently. Like the title itself was haunted.

The eyes were the only sort of graphic used aside from the blood dripping in the background of the second page. The eyes are intended to make the audience feel as though the page is watching their every move, waiting for them to read and decide if they want to visit one of the events described throughout the spread and the whole magazine. It pushes them to pay attention while drawing them in to read more.

The numbers were done in iTC Willow, the same font I used for the main cover line "Horrific Houses". That font embodies the word "Halloween" so I felt it necessary to use it again in my feature spread. The topics stayed in the generic biko font; it's easy for the viewers to read and not hard on the eyes.

Ten topics were hard to come by. I have had experience in going to these events so I knew what I would've liked to have known the first time I went to, let's say, Halloween Horror Nights. I used that knowledge and what I gathered from different travel websites/magazines to formulate my 10 things to know before you go (or more properly, see before you scream).

I attempted to keep to the codes and conventions of a travel magazine by making the event seem enticing and fun for everyone with the language I used. I attempted to create a picture in the readers mind, to entice them. I wanted them to desire to be there among the monsters, to have an "adventure."

InDesign made aligning elements and adding features much simpler. Every body of text and number is aligned with each other so there aren't too big of awkward spaces. The blood pouring was also easy to put in, opposed to what I thought would be harder.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Critical Reflection

Feature Spread Revision