Feature Spread Revision


I originally intended to create a feature spread based on what I had seen from WDW magazine (a full page dedicated to a picture and the other page containing an article based on the picture). I felt that layout would not do my magazine justice, however. I wanted to conjure up an idea that would incorporate my creative and layout skills opposed to my writing skills.

I came up with my final feature spread with the intention of creating the one based off WDW and the one of my own structure/design. I eventually chose the one that I liked more due to it's layout. My feature spread ended up straying completely from what I had analysed from WDW magazine and began to look more like a mix of other travel magazines and a top ten list.

Not much changed from my mock-up sketch to InDesign. One of the differences was that the font for the title was not identical. The word "See" was the most different in the final as I couldn't find a specific font that matched what I was originally looking for. I ended up finding the font "Haunting Attraction" which turned out to be significantly better than what I was thinking of as it encompassed the eerie/creepy vibe I was looking for. I wanted the top 10 know before you go list to be fun. I wanted it to be something that the readers want to stop and look at. I intended for it to be enticing and to have information that isn't the obvious tips such as:"buy your tickets online and not at the door!"

Another change was that I added a blood drip on the right page to add to the feeling of gore and thrill. While Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party isn't much for gore, Howl-O-Scream and Halloween Horror Nights are and I wanted to highlight that.

In my planning process, I completely forgot to add page numbers. Page numbers are extremely important, and while I didn't see any in WDW magazine, I felt it imperative to let my viewers know which page they were on so that they can reference it later. WDW, being an online magazine, has the ability to let their table of contents have hyperlinks to the page therefore having no need for page numbers on the spread. Since my magazine is meant to be print and eventually digital, page numbers are the most reliable option.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Spread Overall

Creative Critical Reflection